Re: ISS Internet Scanner Cannot be relied upon for conclusive

From: Jim Trocki (trockijat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 10:46:40 PST

    On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, David LeBlanc wrote:

    > >How does ISS handle the NT example referenced above??
    >
    > We get that one right.  All the NT patch checks are based on file
    > timestamps, not service pack numbers.  We have seperate checks for just
    > service pack numbers, since you need less access to get the SP level than
    > to get timestamps on system files.

    C'mon. Haven't you learned to use digital signatures (like MD5) instead
    of timestamps to identify files? A timestamp is a bunch of crap, and
    it has no relation at all to the contents of the file. You could easily
    build a database of MD5 hashes of the different DLLs which are included
    in each different service pack, and use that to identify SP levels.

    Jim Trocki <trockijat_private>
    Computer System and Network Engineer
    Transmeta Corporation
    Santa Clara, CA