Re: Bugtraq item about Netapps.

From: just me. (mattat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 10:51:53 PST

    Lets pare this scenario down to practicality, to make things even
    clearer. I think that everyone will agree that we can eliminate:

      IF somebody really wants to screw us up
      (assumed when doing security analysis)

      IF they care to upgrade the firmware on our filer and
      (malicious intent is assumed)

      IF they know how to do it and
      (it's on bugtraq.)

    This leaves us with:

      IF they can crack our firewall and
      IF they can crack the root password of our admin host and
      IF it breaks the filer beyond usablility

    Which is a rather conservitive chain of events. In reality its
    closer to:

    Compromise/circumvent border access controls
    Spoof the identity of admin host
    Gain admin privileges on filer.

    This is the same chain of events that happens with any
    compromised trust relationship. Nothing new. The procedures to
    minimize exposure and the risk of this happening are decades old.

    There is (in this scenario) no Netapp software at fault. Merely
    lazy administrators extending trust where its not neccesary or
    safe to do so.

    As far as:

      that's whay we have backups and
      that's why we buy hardware support.

    goes; I don't know what kind of enviroment you work in, but in
    mine, backups and disaster recovery are important; but so is
    confidentiality. Your scenario makes no allowance for the release
    of proprietary information presumably on the filer.

    matto

      IF somebody really wants to screw us up and
      IF they can crack our firewall and
      IF they can crack the root password of our admin host and
      IF they care to upgrade the firmware on our filer and
      IF they know how to do it and
      IF it breaks the filer beyond usablility

      THEN

      that's whay we have backups and
      that's why we buy hardware support.

      Matt Ghali MG406/GM023JP tokyo refugee - system admin - pop-tart fan
      www.hello-kitty.net      "WWW my testicles!" - Bob Allisat, net.kook