Re: ISS Internet Scanner Brute Force Bug

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 14:26:49 PST

    At 11:54 PM 2/17/99 PST, alexander tampermeier wrote:
    >The Internet Scanner lets you brute force by using username/password
    >pairs specified in the file default.login. I specified a known
    >username/password pair but the scanner could not login.
    >The reason is that the Internet Scanner needs a carriage return after
    >the last username/password pair. If it finds just an EOF marker then the
    >password gets modified by adding an additional character.
    >For example the password test is modified to testo.

    I believe I fixed this several revisions ago.  Although this may be
    _BUG_TRAQ, the best place to report bugs in the scanner is to
    supportat_private  I'd suggest that you use vi, notepad, or some reasonable
    text editor in the meantime.  Just what text editor are you using?

    In fact, I know I fixed this quite a while back, because I remember clearly
    having to use VC++'s editor in binary mode to be able to produce a file
    which would cause this problem.  If you're running a recent version of the
    scanner, please report which version to supportat_private, and I'm sure we'll
    get it fixed.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private