Re: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof

From: Vic Abell (abeat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 13:43:26 PST

    Don Lewis writes:

    > On Feb 18,  1:30am, "Anthony C . Zboralski" wrote:
    > } Subject: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof
    >
    > }    When lsof is setuid-root or setgid kmem, it is vulnerable to a buffer
    > }    overflow that will lead to direct root compromise or root compromise
    > }    thru live kernel patching.
    >
    > If lsof is installed setgid kmem, it shouldn't gain any privileges to
    > overwrite something to gain root access.  At worst, it should only be
    > possible to read things in kernel memory that ordinary users shouldn't
    > have access to (I suppose this might include a password in a tty buffer
    > if the cracker got really lucky).
    >
    > ... or are there systems that give group kmem write privileges?  If so,
    > I'd say that's a security hole.

    I'd say the /dev/kmem warning is over-stated.  Most systems don't
    give the group that can read /dev/kmem write permission.

    However, some systems at times have used the same group ownership
    for /dev/kmem and important system directories, AND made those
    directories and some of their files group writeable.  In that case
    a stack attacked lsof might be able to do file or directory damage.

    There are three lsof installations that could be setuid(root):
    Pyramid DC/OSx lsof, /proc-based Linux lsof (generally Linux kernels
    2.1.72 and above), and Pyramid Reliant UNIX lsof.  (I've tried to
    limit the number of dialects that need setuid(root) permission.)

    Lsof drops its set[gu]id permissions as soon as possible.

    Vic Abell <abeat_private>, lsof author