Re: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof

From: johann sebastian bach (jsb4chat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 15:33:51 PST

    if you are an advocate of computer security, it makes logical sense to
    notify the vendor of the program before you notify a sea of potential
    exploiters, *regardless* of whether or not the potential exploiters know
    of the problem (why blindly assume that they do?).

    from the point of view of advocates of computer security, full
    disclosure shouldnt be regarded as some sort of golden truth, rather, as
    a tool to learn from mistakes made in the past.  in accordance, vendors
    should be allowed to patch a bug before its existance and exploit code
    is plastered all over internet mailing lists (sure, small circles of
    hackers may have been exploiting this bug for years, but a small circle
    of hackers is a far different problem than the sea of script kiddies who
    dont even know how to use unix, but will then have access to the
    exploit).

    exploit code should not spawn a shell and give full access to the
    machine. if exploit coders would only release exploits that write(1,
    "hello world".. the root compromises out there would drop by 99%
    guaranteed.  exploit code should be an EXAMPLE to prove that a bug is
    exploitable, not an instant ticket to root access on thousands of hosts
    for people who barely know how to use a computer.

    i could care less about computer security aside from the fact that i
    would like access to as many hosts as possible.  i make these points
    because many so-called hackers out there think they're fighting for some
    golden cause by releasing potent exploit code, or mailing stupid
    advisories to bugtraq to claim their fame before even notifying the
    coders of the application in question.

    >From owner-bugtraqat_private Fri Feb 19 11:15:53 1999
    >Date:	Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:46:17 -0800
    >Sender: Bugtraq List <BUGTRAQat_private>
    >From:	routeat_private
    >Subject:      Re: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof
    >To:	BUGTRAQat_private
    Spafford"
    >              at Feb 18, 99 12:24:52 pm
    >
    >[Gene Spafford wrote]
    >|
    >| People who publish bugs/exploits that are not being actively
    exploited
    >| *before* giving the vendor a chance to fix the flaws are clearly
    >| grandstanding.  They're part of the problem -- not the solution.
    >|

    >    Who is to say the vulnerability in question was NOT being exploited
    >    prior to release?  Odds are it was.  Bugtraq is a full-diclosure
    list.
    >    The `problem` as you succinctly put it is in *non-disclosure*.
    While