Re: Inherent weaknesses in NT system policies

From: Matt Hargett (hargettat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 11:01:29 PST

    On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, mnemonix wrote:

    > There are certain key vulnerabilities in NT's System Policies that allow
    > most restrictions to be by-passed. For instance, although Registry Editing
    > tools can be disabled this restriction can be avoided with ease, but more on
    > that later.
    >
    > This policy can be broken in a matter of minutes:
    [snip]

    I concur that policies are not the only thing an admin must set up if he
    wants to secure his workstation. I have some recent experience myself
    doing this from when I went to help my college on a similar project in
    November. Firstly, if you are going to be setting up workstations to be
    this restrictive...

    a) the user should have a read-only profile (there's a term for this, I
    can't remember what NT calls it). This prevents them being able to put
    anything in the Start Menu.

    b) registry ACLs should be altered so as not to include anything beyond
    Query/Enumerate/Read for the World SID. This breaks some applications, and
    it takes some tuning once you have the registry locked down to get
    everything completely functional. Corel Wordperfect and Netscape were a
    real pain in this respect, and have rather insecure dependencies on some
    regkeys being Full Control for the World SID.

    c) in the %systemroot% directory, we removed execute permissions for
    World, and added them back to the bare minimum utilities (which didn not
    include cmd.exe =]). We also looked for miscellaneous executables in the
    application installs that were not part of the main application that would
    not get run during normal use.

    d) in the TEMP dir (whatever that is defined to be on your system), set
    the directory permissions to be Create for World, and Read/Write/Delete
    for Owner (and Full Control for System and Administrator, of course). This
    hypothetically prevents people from creating file with executable
    permissions. However, Owners of objects intrinsically have Change
    Permissions access. I think there is a way to disable this, but I don't
    remember how we did it.

    So, if the admin setting up the workstation (I would assume for public use
    by the needs inferred), policies alone will not do. And even with file and
    registry permissions, someone clever could still get around it; it's just
    a little more difficult.

    Matt Hargett
    http://www.cityscape.net/~hargett
    mattat_private