Regarding passwords in registry keys.

From: Ash (ashat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 17:04:37 PST

    Considering the various threads running around about programs storing
    passwords temporarily in Windows registry entries I thought I would point
    out that registry keys are never deleted. The registry marks the key as
    'unused' and leaves it in place, the entry never replaced or its space
    reclaimed. This is why the registry files are always growing.

    If you look in the O'Riely "Windows Annoyances" book you will find the
    procedures for exporting the registry to text the creating a new one from
    that exported file. Requires rebooting into dos and such, very messy. Last
    time I did this I saved about a meg.

    So, all those 'temporary' keys that hold these juicy bits are in fact left
    behind in the registry data files themselves for anyone with a hex editor
    to find. Could make for interesting mining I think.

    --
    Ash <ashat_private>

    "Love is a Journey, One Heart At a Time."