Re: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof

From: Ronny Cook (ronnyat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 21 1999 - 21:19:20 PST

    der Mouse wrote:
    >> on linux /dev/kmem is +w for gid kmem, on bsd too (probably, I didn't
    >> checked that),
    >
    > I *think* this may even have been fixed back in the 4.3 days, but I
    > can't recall for sure; that was too long ago.

    - From a BSD/386 1.1 system (based on BSD 4.3):

    $ ls -l /dev/kmem
    crw-r-----  1 root  kmem    2,   1 Feb  5  1994 /dev/kmem

    The moral of this story is that we should be careful making unfounded
    assumptions about other operating systems...

    		...Ronny
    --
     Ronald Cook, Technical Manager - Message Handling Systems/The Message eXchange
     Email: ronnyat_private ----- Phone: +61-2-9550-4448 ---- Fax: +61-2-9519-2551