Re: NT DoS on FW-1

From: Matt Hargett (hargettat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 21 1999 - 15:43:44 PST

    >This issue can be fixed by simply implementing a stealthing rule on the
    >firewall itself. The problem is in NT's stack, not the FireWalls.
    >
    > Jamie Thain wrote:
    >
    > > Timothy,
    > >
    > > > I was running nmap against a client's Checkpoint FW-1
    > > > when they called to inform me that it had crashed.  I
    > > > was not on site so unfortunately I have little
    > > > details.
    > >
    > > I have seen this befor where a high speed port scanner running against
    > > FW-1 on NT seems to crash it. FW-1 does not exhibit this behaviour on
    > > Sun. You may want to check and make sure you have the most recent
    patch
    > > level. That information is on the FW-1 site.
    > >
    > > > I DO know that they were running it on a NT
    > > > box and it was behind a Cisco 3640.

    I have done a bit of testing using nmap against NT 4.0 with
    SP4. My findings were that plain NT 4.0 SP4 doesn't
    crash/behave erratically by itself with the many instances of nmap
    options that I tried. Certainly not a simple SYN scan with OS
    fingerprinting.

    What exactly is the problem in NT's stack and how exactly can you measure
    it's adverse reaction? I was looking under task manager at the nonpaged
    kernel memory, process, thread, and handle counts.

    Matt Hargett
    http://www.cityscape.net/~hargett
    mattat_private

    sex on the TV, everybody's at it