Re: Security hole: "zgv"

From: Alistair Cunningham (ac212at_private)
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 15:00:05 PST

    On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 06:10:00PM +0000, Chris Evans wrote:

    [ snip zgv security discussion ]

    > This latter hole was interesting. It demonstrated that while an SVGAlib
    > application drops root privileges after initializing, it is still
    > vulnerable to buffer overflows because the program holds a vital resource;
    > a writeable file descriptor to /dev/mem. This applies to all SVGAlib
    > programs.

    I've just tested, and this applies to quake 2. This is particularly bad,
    as quake 2 supports user written .so files. Quake 2 drops root privileges
    before loading them, but now it would appear that they can get root back.

    Alistair Cunningham (who's just chmodded -s quake2)

     Alistair Cunningham   Selwyn College, Cambridge   Email: ac212at_private