Re: Pro/wuFTPD DoS

From: Alex Belits (abelitsat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 21 1999 - 23:30:38 PST

    On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

    > > I think I will probably write it again, since I don't I have it saved
    > > somewhere.  There's nothing fascinating actually. This seem to be a heap
    > > buffer overflow, which smashes pointers to the dirnames (thus you could
    > > probably get access to files outsite chrooted envinronment):
    >
    > Could someone please clue me in on how this might be so, assuming
    > *ftpd correctly chroot's itself then relinquishes permissions?

      There is a claim in the description of that hole, that wu-ftpd doesn't
    relinquish permissions properly, changing the uid "temporarily". I assume,
    it means that saved uid is not changed at that point, however I
    haven't checked in the source, if this is true.

    --
    Alex

     Excellent.. now give users the option to cut your hair you hippie!
                                                      -- Anonymous Coward