Re: Preventing remote OS detection

From: tqbf (ashlandat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 14:05:58 PST

    >There are many other ways to determine the operating system as well,
    >most of which are described in a fairly recent phrack article (number 54
    >if I am correct)
    >by fyodor, and are addressed in the article mentionned below
    >
    >How can we mask our operating system from these tcp/ip stack
    >fingerprinting tools while still being functional?

    You probably can't, at least not without a significant, tedious, and
    error-prone code audit. We've been doing research on OS fingerprinting for
    the past few years, and there are hundreds of different stack-specific
    idiosynchricies.

    You'd definitely be making a large mistake to assume "OS detection" means
    "nmap and queso".

    Thomas H. Ptacek     			  Network Security Research Team, NAI
    	   		         "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"