Preventing remote OS detection

From: Patrick Gilbert (gilbertat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 08:55:43 PST

    A technique exists to determine a remote operating system by sending
    obscure tcp
    packets and analyzing the response. Two utilites known as queso and nmap
    can
    determine with enough precision your operating system. This has been
    known for quite some time, but I haven't seen much on how to prevent it.

    There are many other ways to determine the operating system as well,
    most of which are described in a fairly recent phrack article (number 54
    if I am correct)
    by fyodor, and are addressed in the article mentionned below.

    How can we mask our operating system from these tcp/ip stack
    fingerprinting tools while still being functional?

    This module is particularly useful for bastionned hosts in front of the
    corporate firewall who run public services such as mail, ftp and http,
    and cannot filter incoming connections.

    The answer can be found in the latest security improvement module at:

    http://www.pgci.ca/fingerprint.html

    As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

    Cheers,
    Patrick

    --
    Patrick Gilbert                                     +1 (514) 865-9178
    CEO, PGCI                                          http://www.pgci.ca