Denial of service process table attacks

From: John Conover (conoverat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 00:43:24 PST

    The DNS process table attacks are mentioned at:

        http://lwn.net/daily/ptable.html

    I have been using tcpserver as a replacement for inetd for many
    months. It is at:

        ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/ucspi-tcp.html

    and allows limiting the *_number_* of concurrent processes forked out
    of the inet facilities, as opposed to the *_rate_* of forked
    processes.

    Also, optionally, allows logging by port, with access control via a
    fast database, by IP, and user.

    I'm currently using it on httpd, ftp, faxd, smtp, telnet, pop3, and
    the qmail daemons. Seems viable.

    FWIW, FYI ...

    	John

    --

    John Conover, 631 Lamont Ct., Campbell, CA., 95008, USA.
    VOX 408.370.2688, FAX 408.379.9602