Re: Preventing remote OS detection

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 10:58:29 PST

    tqbf wrote:

    > You probably can't, at least not without a significant, tedious, and
    > error-prone code audit. We've been doing research on OS fingerprinting for
    > the past few years, and there are hundreds of different stack-specific
    > idiosynchricies.

    That being the case, it sounds like the only way to reliably de-fingerprint an
    OS is with an electronic pair of gloves:  implement a new stack, and make it
    portable across multiple platforms.  Distribute it widely and support it, to get
    lots of different kinds of systems to use it.  Now people can still finger-print
    your "glove" stack, but they can't tell what OS it's running on.

    Of course, this is lots & lots of work, requires political buy-in from the
    leaders of diverse projects like Linux, *BSD, and Windows :-), and is of
    questionable value.  I'd rather spend my time making my system of choice more
    secure than working that hard to obscure my system of choice.

    Crispin
    -----
     Crispin Cowan, Research Assistant Professor of Computer Science, OGI
        NEW:  Protect Your Linux Host with StackGuard'd Programs  :FREE
           http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/immunix/StackGuard/

                     Support Justice:  Boycott Windows 98