Re: Cobalt root exploit

From: Jon Lewis (jlewisat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 14:27:20 PST

    On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Patrick Oonk wrote:

    > An individual obtained password information from history
    > files on a Cobalt RaQ. With the RaQ, user directories are
    > contained within the web tree. This is intentional since
    > the purpose of our servers is for users to serve content
    > on the web.

    > and a private directory. However, if a user telnets into
    > the box and runs various shell commands, the bash shell
    > maintains a .bash_history file.

    I emailed Cobalt about this issue back in 12-98.  I had a Qube on eval and
    noticed that the combination of user home directories being within the web
    server's document root dir and the default umask setting making user
    created files world readable meant that I could use a web browser to check
    for .bash_history files in each user's directory...mine of course had one.

    I was told by Will DeHaan <willat_private>, that Cobalt really didn't
    intend to have users logging into the Qube for interactive shell sessions,
    but that they still planned to rearrange things such that each user home
    directory would not be in the web server's document root and would instead
    have the equivalent of a public_html dir.  This change was to be
    integrated into future software releases.

    ----don't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
     Jon Lewis *jlewisat_private*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
     System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
     Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
    _________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________