Re: Cobalt root exploit

From: Joel Eriksson (na98jenat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 27 1999 - 02:13:05 PST

    On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, John Fraizer wrote:

    > The .bash_history file is still created even after the Shell History Patch
    > Release 1.0 is applied to the RaQ and is still world readable.
    >
    > And of course, what post to BUGTRAQ would be complete without a fix?
    >
    > The Fix:
    >
    > Add the following lines to /etc/profile
    >
    > touch $HISTFILE
    > chmod 600 $HISTFILE
    >

    > For the really paranoid, place the following line before the touch command:
    >
    > HISTFILE=~/.some.other.name

    Why not  : ln -sf /dev/null $HISTFILE
    or simply: unset HISTFILE

    Who needs those historyfiles anyway? The only usage I can think of is
    to see if someone else has used your account, but then the intruder must
    have been _veeery_ lame, and if a lamers like that got in at all, you got
    much bigger problems to think of...