Re: Linux /usr/bin/gnuplot overflow

From: Speed (speedat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 17:04:49 PST

    It is interesting to note that the gnuplot on my system is NOT suid root
    (nor have I modified the default installed settings).  My version is 3.5
    patchlevel 3.50.1.17 (i.e. very old).  The distribution is Slackware.

    I agree with xnec in that I can see no good reason to make it suid root.
    Anyone know why this was done?  Anytime a program is going to do this, a
    full audit should be made - some people take the suid bit not seriously
    enough.

    Simply running strings against it should cause someone looking at that
    output to feel a bit suspicious.

    Granted, the suid bit might be placed by the distribution and not the
    program's author.

    Finally, thanks to xnec for providing BOTH the exploit and the fix which
    is how it should be done on a full disclosure list.

    - Speed_D