Re: More Internet Explorer zone confusion

From: Jeremy Nimmer (bugtraq.userat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 00:56:27 PST

    >MS98-016 dealt with addresses such as http://031713501415/
    >user has the "Domain Suffix Search Order" in the TCP/IP DNS settings
    >The second case occurs when a host has an assigned alias in the hosts
    >"This behavior is correct"?!?!?!  Give me a break.  They obviously
    >didn't think so when they released the MS98-016 bulletin.
    >
    >Jim Paris
    >jimat_private

    The difference between MS98-016 and your examples is simple.  The bulletin
    addressed an issue where an external site could, without your control, fool
    your browser into thinking a remote site was "local intranet".  In your
    examples, the user must choose specific settings to allow the problem to
    occur.  If you are concerned about the problem, simply remove .com, etc.
    from your DNS suffix search, and don't put nasty hosts in your hosts file.

    The zone settings are not meant to be rock-solid security protection.  If
    they pose a risk to you, set all zones to the maximum security.  This was
    all already talked about when the above-mentioned bulletin came out.

    In the end, this is not a "bug" in the browser - it's a configuration
    problem.  While worthy of mention, it does not deserve flamage.

    Thanks,
    -= remmiN ymereJ | Jeremy Nimmer =-