More Internet Explorer zone confusion

From: Jim Paris (jimat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 18:53:18 PST

    Even after the patch described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS98-016
    (http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/ms98-016.asp), IE4 still
    has big problems with distinguishing between sites that belong in the
    "Internet Zone" and sites that belong in the "Local Intranet Zone".

    MS98-016 dealt with addresses such as http://031713501415/, which
    resolve to Internet hosts but are categorized as being in the "Local
    Intranet Zone".

    I've found two cases where the problem still exists.  The first is when
    the user has the "Domain Suffix Search Order" in the TCP/IP DNS settings
    set to include domains such as "com".  In that case, the address
    	http://microsoft/
    will retrieve the page at
    	http://microsoft.com/
    but it will be considered to be in the "Local Intranet Zone".

    The second case occurs when a host has an assigned alias in the hosts
    table (C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS).  A host table entry such as:
    	207.46.131.13	hello
    will cause the URL
    	http://hello/
    to retrieve the page at http://207.45.131.13/, but (yep, you guess it)
    Internet Explorer still considers it to be in the "Local Intranet Zone".

    This has security implications, since settings for the Local Intranet
    Zone may be (and, by default, ARE) less secure than those for the
    Internet Zone.

    And the funny part?  Microsoft's response when I told them this:

    --8<---cut here-----------------------------------------

    Hi Jim -

    Had a talk with one of the IE developers, and this behavior is correct.
    Here's why: it's impossible to tell from an IP address whether it's internal
    or external.  100.100.100.100, or any other address, could be either
    internal or external, depending on whether you're behind a firewall or not.
    That means that IE has to rely on the URL.  By convention, an URL that does
    not end with a "dot-something" (.com, .edu, .gov, etc) is assumed to be an
    internal site.  I'm told that this is how all web browsers make the
    distinction.  You have to make specific reconfigurations to allow the
    dotless URLs to resolve externally. Thanks,

    Secureat_private

    "This behavior is correct"?!?!?!  Give me a break.  They obviously
    didn't think so when they released the MS98-016 bulletin.

    Jim Paris
    jimat_private