Re: More Internet Explorer zone confusion

From: Christopher Masto (chrisat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 22:59:08 PST

    Is this intranet zone thing _really_ of any value?  Why is there a
    built-in default assumption that something from a "local" server is
    more trustworthy?  Consider the following situations:

    1. A customer of your ISP, netmonger.net, is evil.  They have a page
       that links or redirects to http://www/~evil/evil.html, taking
       advantage of the fact that your machine is configured with your
       ISP's domain in the search list.

    2. You go to school at RPI.  You have a dorm ethernet connection.
       Your machine is naive.dorm.rpi.edu, and you have dorm.rpi.edu
       in your domain search list.  An evil person gets evil.dorm.rpi.edu,
       and you know the rest.

    3. You work at Giganticorp and have access to high-level trade secrets.
       Giganticorp has an intranet where employees can put up their own
       web pages.  An evil employee takes advantage of the default security
       settings to gain access to your secrets, which he sells to the
       competition.

    Numbers 1 and 2 ask the question, "Why are we assuming that a
    non-qualified host name implies intranet implies trust?"  Number 3
    asks the question, "Why are we assuming that intranet implies trust?"
    Another question is "How many people who use IE have no intranet?"
    Considering that there are a quantity of tools available to deploy
    IE at your company with preconfigured settings, why not default to
    not having this intranet zone.  If Giganticorp needs to turn down
    the security, they can do so at the same time they're customizing
    the rest of the settings.

    I don't personally use Microsoft products, and I am not quite familiar
    with the specific security precautions that are disabled for the
    intranet zone, but if they're enough to cause concern on the Internet,
    the same problems can occur even when the browser isn't malfunctioning
    at all.
    --
    Christopher Masto        Director of Operations      NetMonger Communications
    chrisat_private        infoat_private        http://www.netmonger.net

    Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/