Re: The FPSC-IRCD.txt advisory

From: Bjarni R. Einarsson (breat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 11:01:57 PST

    On 1999-03-07, 16:20:59 (-0800), syg FPSC wrote:

    > lines.  If you notice, it takes the '{' char and defines its uppercase char as
    > '['  as  along with defining '|' to '\', '}' to ']', and '~' to '^'. What this
    > means   is   thier  the  same  characters  in  channel  names  and  nicknames.

    In RFC1459 chapter 2.2 says:

       Because of IRC's scandanavian origin, the characters {}| are
       considered to be the lower case equivalents of the characters []\,
       respectively.

    So, what we have here is 75% a mIRC bug, not an IRCD bug.  I say 75% because
    the RFC doesn't mention '~' and '^', which probably shouldn't be considered
    equivalent by the server.

    Did you (the authors of this advisory) bother to notify the maintainers of
    these IRC servers and mIRC in particulaur?

    (if RFC1459 has been superceded, just ignore me - but it hasn't, has it?)

    > Final Notes:
    > 	IRCD coders and staff members of all networks and all IRCD versions need
    > to  check  your source for this bug and fix it before it gets abused... maybe it

    IRC coders and staff members using mIRC deserve what they get. :-)  Happily,
    the original advisory contained a work-around:  use BitchX, ircII or some
    other properly implemented client.

    --
    Bjarni R. Einarsson                    [ PGP: 02764305 / B7A3AB89 ]
     breat_private -=- http://www.mmedia.is/~bre/ -=- Juggler@IRCnet

    * http://www.europarl.eu.int/dg4/stoa/en/publi/166499/execsum.htm *
      Encrypt the covert narcotics, launder nuclear biotechno cash on
      the way to Swiss with your GSM phone - are you paranoid enough?