Re: SMTP server account probing

From: Frank Miller (frankmat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 08:57:32 PST

    The following is from the company (earthonline.com) that wrote the
    commerical software
    that performed the dictionary attack against MTA's.  I do have copies of the
    software
    and can generate a list of 'hard coded' ISP's that were probed, if desired.

    Dear ISP and Fellow Internet User,

          GeoList Professional has been removed from the
          Earthonline Product Line.

          If used as it was intended, this product would
          have created email address lists that would
          have proven highly targeted to a specific state
          or region.

          Although GeoList is only one of many different
          programs that verify state related email
          addresses on the market, we find it appropriate
          for the good of the Internet Community, that we
          pull this product from our shelves.

          GeoList was designed for the individual or
          business looking for a target market in
          specific states or regions. Initially this
          program was developed for an online political
          campaign. The candidates campaign staff
          requested the ability to target their specific
          region. GeoList, utilized in this market,
          proved effective; for this reason Earthonline
          released it as a targeted lead generation
          product.

          The subsequent mis-use of GeoList Professional
          by certain companies and individuals has
          reportedly made it difficult on the ISPs. As
          GeoList validates a list of user names and
          matches them with email addresses in the given
          state, it was our intent to target email
          addresses for any give "region specific"
          campaign.

          It is undetermined how end-users were using
          this product. However, we have had reports of
          customers using this product as a non-targeted
          spam list collection tool. Earthonline stands
          behind targeted email notification and
          solicitation of targeted lead lists. However,
          we do not condone or promote spam as a way to
          market products or services. Our products are
          intended as a cost effective way for companies
          and organizations to email their customers, and
          clients, with new product offerings, updates,
          and/or informative news.

          GeoList Professional has reportedly been used
          "not as intended" - and although we could limit
          the sales of the product to certain individuals
          and companies, we choose not to sensor those
          customers of our products. However, with
          reports of how the GeoList product is being
          used; It is our decision to make GeoList a
          discontinued product as of March 08, 1999.

          As the technology within GeoList is not
          proprietary to Earthonline, the discontinuation
          of this product will not be the discontinuation
          of other products in the marketplace that
          promote similar functionality.

          If you should have direct questions, or
          comments regarding this notice, email to:

          infoat_private

          - Earthonline Administration

    http://www.junk.org/earthonline/

    I'm surprised that I haven't seen this one on the Bugtraq list yet.

    --Brett Glass