Re: SMTP server account probing

From: GvS (gvsat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 09:58:25 PST

    Hi there!

    On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

     BG> In this attack, an SMTP server is probed for common names, presumably
     BG> so that spam can the be targeted at them. The attacking machine
     BG> connects and issues hundreds of RCPT TO: commands, searching a long
     BG> list of common user names (e.g. susan) for ones that don't cause
     BG> errors. It then compiles a list of target addresses to spam.

    The most common protection method against this attack is to restrict
    the number of recipients per message as defined in sendmail.cf:

    O MaxRecipientsPerMessage=NN

    It doesn't protect from name probing, but protects from overhead in
    conjunction with O ConnectionRateThrottle and O MaxDaemonChildren
    options.

     BG> I'm surprised that I haven't seen this one on the Bugtraq list yet.

    I do not think it's bugtraq issue really. This attack can easily be
    prevented with configuration methods.

    SY, Seva Gluschenko, just stranger at the Road.
    GVS-RIPE: Cronyx Plus / RiNet network administrator.

    --- IRC: erra
     * Origin: Erra Netmale (gvsat_private) [http://gvs.rinet.ru/]