Re: More Internet Explorer zone confusion

From: Jim Frost (jimfat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 14:15:07 PST

    |This is of course the correct way to implement an "intranet zone".
    |It has, however, one serious drawback: you have to configure it.
    |Consumer product manufacturers like Microsoft want their product
    |to work as much "out of the box" as possible.

    Since there is no intranet for most consumers this seems like largely a
    non-issue.  Those with intranets in their home probably know enough to
    configure it properly.  And businesses should have IT departments whose job it
    is to manage it.

    So what's the problem?

    |It doesn't even work with the default configuration of Windows,
    |because the basic assumption that every host with an FQDN in the
    |same DNS domain as the client is also in the intranet zone is
    |flawed. There are perfectly legitimate configurations where this
    |is not the case.

    Not only legitimate, but increasingly common.  Cable modem customers, for
    instance, tend to have their entire region in the same "intranet": eg
    customer.ne.mediaone.net.  I assure you that you don't want to treat the entire
    northeast region of MediaOne customers as trusted in any way, shape, or form.

    jim