Re: Solaris "/usr/bin/write" bug

From: Dan - Sr. Admin (dmat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 07:45:16 PST

    > This is my first post to BugTraq
    > If this is old, I'm sorry.
    > when playing around with "/usr/bin/write" on Solaris 2.6 x86 , I found something
    >  interesting.
    > It's buffer overflow bug in "/usr/bin/write"
    > To ensure, view this command :

    [snip]

    > ( Solaris 2.6 and 2.7 maybe .. )
    >
    > bye bye ~    :)

    Confirmed under Sparc Solaris 2.6.

    Although I have no source code to verify this, I would assume the problem
    lies in a sprintf() call (or something similiar) that builds the device to
    open from the tty you specify on the command line.

    However, even if this is overflowable into a shell with tty permissions,
    I can see nothing useful coming out of it.

    crw--w----   1 dm       tty       24,  0 Mar  9 14:39 pts@0:0

    Those are the permissions on the terminal.  The most I can see happening is
    someone writing to my screen when I have messages turned off.

    Regards,
    --
    Dan Moschuk (TFreak!dmat_private)
    Senior Systems/Network Administrator