Re: SMTP server account probing

From: Brian Behlendorf (brianat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 17:04:30 PST

    On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Brett Glass wrote:
    > At 09:36 AM 3/9/99 -0800, John E. Martin wrote:
    >
    > >While the 'goaway' option may not prevent the program from continuing to
    > >verify addresses, it will keep your users address from being picked up by
    > >the program.
    > >
    > >Perhaps someone with better sendmail experience could come up with an idea
    > >to automatically disconnect connections that are issuing more than 25 VRFY
    > >statements at a time?
    >
    > Unfortunately, the program was designed to defeat the "goaway" option by
    > using RCPT TO: commands instead of VRFY commands. What's needed is
    > the ability to kill the connection after more than two or three recipient
    > names have generated errors.

    I would recommend against doing this.  There are many legitimate large
    mailing lists out there that are very likely to use multiple RCPT headers
    in a single transaction to save bandwidth, and the odds of getting more
    than two or three bounces from closed accounts are fairly good, so this
    would break valid SMTP conversations.  Besides, the address harvesters
    will simply reopen a second connection.

    	Brian