Re: SMTP server account probing

From: Ryan Permeh (rrpermehat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 13:20:44 PST

    This is a good idea, but the problem with this program is that it acts like
    it were sending mail to a user, not using the VRFY command, but the RCPT
    to: command, as any normal mail user agent would.

    I have been playing around with an idea that would send false rcpt to
    errors after a certain number of failures.  This would, at the very least,
    not give the program any more information than the first couple rcpt to:,
    until a certain number of bad rcpt to:'s happen.

    there are other ways of doing this, that are not apporpriate for this use,
    that limit the total number of RCPT to:'s accepted.  this can be done (at
    least in 8.9.3) using the :
    O MaxRecipientsPerMessage
    directive in the sendmail.cf file.

    Ryan Permeh

    At 09:36 AM 3/9/99 -0800, you wrote:
    >>In this attack, an SMTP server is probed for common names, presumably
    >>so that spam can the be targeted at them. The attacking machine
    >>connects and issues hundreds of RCPT TO: commands, searching a long
    >>list of common user names (e.g. susan) for ones that don't cause
    >>errors. It then compiles a list of target addresses to spam.
    >
    >This is a good reason for sendmail users to add the following to their .cf
    >files:
    >

    >O PrivacyOptions=goaway
    >

    >This will prevent VRFY and EXPN commands from functioning at all and
    >releasing correct addresses.
    >
    >>Unfortunately, the attack -- besides allowing the perpetrator to spam
    >>users -- also brings SMTP servers to their knees. This happens most
    >>often if the server maintains lists of user names in a database where
    >>looking up a name requires substantial disk activity or computational
    >>overhead.
    >
    >While the 'goaway' option may not prevent the program from continuing to
    >verify addresses, it will keep your users address from being picked up by
    >the program.
    >
    >Perhaps someone with better sendmail experience could come up with an idea
    >to automatically disconnect connections that are issuing more than 25 VRFY
    >statements at a time?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >John E. Martin

    Ryan R Permeh      	E-MAIL: rrpermehat_private   rrpermehat_private
    IS Engineer       		WEB   : http://www.rconnect.com 	http://www.response.net
    Rural Connections /   HELP  : helpat_private
    Response Inc.        	FAQ   : http://www.rconnect.com/help
                          		SALES : salesat_private 		salesat_private
    120 First Street NE   PHONE : (507) 281-5005
    Rochester, MN 55906   FAX   : (507) 281-9272