Re: Bug in IRC services

From: David Schwartz (davidsat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 12 1999 - 17:49:05 PST

    > I think Dalnet and other networks use the same services so if
    > they could be
    > exploitable too.

    	No.

    	DALnet's services uses a 'services identifier', which is a unique
    identifier assigned to each client when they connect to the IRC network.
    Unless DALnet's services can confirm your services identifier, you will not
    get any identify-based privileges.

    	I'd go into more detail as to exactly how this works, but DALnet's services
    is proprietary to the DALnet IRC Network, and I'm not allowed to discuss its
    security features publically. But suffice it to say that on DALnet, this
    should be impossible by explicit design.

    	I find it hard to believe that any IRC network would fail as you described.
    People change nicknames all the time on an IRC network, and it would be
    literally moronic to use the nickname in an access check. (No offense
    intended to the specific network you mentioned.)

    	David Schwartz (JoelKatz)
    	Coding Director
    	DALnet
    	<JoelKatzat_private>