Bug in IRC services

From: fractalg (fractalgat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 12 1999 - 11:27:20 PST

    Hello,
    I've just found a big hole in services provided by IRC networks. The
    services in question are Chanserv, Nickserv, Memoserv.
    I've found them at Portuguese IRC Network aka PTNET but I think these can be
    applied to other IRC networks that are based around DALNET code since PTNET
    is a modified version of Dalnet code. If this doesn't work in other IRC
    networks at least can be a good example of very bad programming in areas
    related to security and networking.
    So let's start with a bit of background so everyone can understand what
    happened...
    As I said PTNET is based in Dalnet code and a some time ago started to
    provide 3 services to users: Chanserv ( for channels) , Nickserv ( for
    registering nicks) and Memoserv (to leave notes to other users).
    One of the problems with these services were when a netsplit occured you had
    to identify your nick when the servers rejoined so you can imagine how
    annoying it can be always having to identify the nick back every network
    split.
    So it came the new version of the servers this time with a nice feature !
    You didnt need to identify the nick when the servers rejoined from the
    split ! The first time I saw this I tought about how would the services
    recognize me as the true nick before the split... I never had the chance to
    test this theory until some days ago.
    So one server splitted and I took a nick from one administrator that wasn't
    even online ! And for my surprise when the servers rejoined I had full
    access to administrator privileges ! It just recognized the nick as a valid
    one and gave me the privileges.
    This feature as you can see is very very badly coded ( hi tourist, pantmar
    and rob_ :) ) and it's a huge security hole because anyone can just ride a
    split and take a administrator nick and then do whatever he wants ( you
    could get some user nick and what all his memos and do whatever you feel to
    his nick).
    This type of thing occurs because the server doesn't make any check, only
    checking if the nick exists in it's database. One solution of this problem
    would be keeping a database of user/ip before the split and then compare
    when servers rejoin.
    Coding something that is working on a open environment without any checks
    makes the coders being guilty in every attack the network suffers. There's
    no absolute security in a computer but these stupid things can be avoided
    and contribute to a more secure networking environment.
    I think Dalnet and other networks use the same services so if they could be
    exploitable too.
    Hoping my little contribute to be usefull to improve security around the
    world,
    Fractal Guru

    Any doubt feel free to email me!

    Greetings to : Smiler, Jaeger, Origin, Psy, Bibo, all TRPS members and the
    rest of my friends around the world!
    --
    Student at Oporto Faculty of Economy - Porto - Portugal
    Email: fractalgat_private