Re: Digital Unix 4 protected password database.

From: Alec Muffett (Alec.Muffettat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 03:27:00 PST

    [making up to 16 char passwords by overlapping 8-char strings]
    >>The alternate scheme you mention (in the part I cut) of encrypting the
    >>first 8 characters and the last 8 seems to me to result in a 16 char
    >>keyspace.  Clever.
    >
    >Unfortunately, it doesn't perform strong mixing and thus does not produce
    >a result as strong as its 16 character length implies.

    >From the crypto-purist point of view, I certainly would not argue with that;
    part of the reason I came up with that algorithm was to try and support minimal
    effort backwards compatability on an ancient networked system, where I could
    poke the standard:

    	if (!strcmp(plaintext, ciphertext), ciphertext)) {

    ...mantra, into:

    	if (!strncmp(plaintext, ciphertext), ciphertext), 13) {

    ...for the small number of systems which could not be seriously overhauled to
    use a decent crypt() replacement, for lack of source code; the first 13 chars
    of the ciphertext in the modified algorithm are equivalent to a traditional
    crypt, and in this limited circumstance it was useful to exploit that feature.

    Of course,  backwards compatability is a ***BAD*** thing in authentication
    (ref: WinNT) - nonetheless, I consider it a neat toy hack, whose strength is
    dependent upon the effectiveness of the DES mixing in crypt, and to practical
    limitations it is pretty good.

    >As you can see, the only proper way of increasing the effective length of
    >a password is to use a cryptographic hash algorithm or implement a scheme
    >of thorough plaintext mixing.  Look into the efforts of expanding DES for
    >good examples of how to mix plaintext properly.

    Quite.  In these days of ubiquitous access to MD5 and SHA-1 algorithms, it
    would be insane to use anything less.

    	- alec

    --
           alec muffett, sun professional services, alec.muffett @ uk.sun.com