Digital Unix 4 protected password database.

From: James Clement (clem7508at_private)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 23:22:32 PST

    Greetings,
         Due to the recent outpouring of DU buffer overflows I thought the
    following might be of interest. With the Enhanced Security package
    running, authentication info is stored in individual files according to
    username. In this case /tcb/files/auth/r/root for root and so on. I am not
    aware of any built in method for creating the equivalent of your everyday
    unix /etc/shadow file. As a result it is probable that many DU systems
    have not weeded out poor choices for passwords through the use of a
    program such as Crack since each encrypt is stored in a separate file.
         Though trivial once root is compromised, a would be attacker might
    have an easy time obtaining passwords because of this "feature". The
    program below outputs a crackable shadow file.

     Regards,
      James Clement

    ----dushad.c----
    /*
       Digital Unix 4.x get encrypts from protected password database(s).
       Must be euid(0), compile with cc dushad.c -lsecurity -o dushad
       Written by James Clement - clem7508at_private
    */

    #include <sys/types.h>
    #include <sys/security.h>
    #include <prot.h>

    struct pr_passwd *getprpwent(void);

    void main(){
      struct pr_passwd *p;

      set_auth_parameters();

      while (p = getprpwent())
      {
       printf("%s:%s:%d:::\n", p->ufld.fd_name, p->ufld.fd_encrypt, p->ufld.fd_uid);
      }
    }