abuse of nickserv

From: Nelson Little (nel74at_private)
Date: Tue Mar 23 1999 - 22:13:29 PST

    Hi,

    Many people that IRC on Dalnet have scripts which automatically identify
    their nicknames via "/msg nickserv identify your_password" This works fine,
    however,if you also IRC on Undernet you can run into a problem. Undernet
    has no nickserv so if someone on Undenet decides to use the nick "nickserv"
    they will be exposed to countless passwords from all the people that
    automatically identify themselves. Once the evil user has these passwords
    they can jump on Dalnet and steal that person's nick and change the
    password. With a bit of brain power, and I won't go into how, they can also
    abuse op in any channels that person has op access in.

    Dalnet has been advised and starting on April 15th, you'll need to identify
    to NickServ using /msg NickServat_private IDENTIFY instead of just
    using /msg NickServ IDENTIFY.

    All the other IRC networks that I tested have a nickserv bot which halts
    the abuse mentioned above.

    Regards
    Nelson