Re: Melissa Macro Virus

From: Nate Lawson (nateat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 26 1999 - 17:51:49 PST

    Here is my analysis of how the virus works.  The McAfee article aleph1
    posted neglects to mention that it infects the active document and
    Normal.dot

    1.  Check for Word security controls and disable them:
        Word 2000
            Macro.Security... = FALSE
        Word 97
            Options.ConfirmConversions = 0
            Options.VirusProtection = 0
            Options.SaveNormalPrompt = 0

    2.  See if machine is already infected
        Check HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Melissa? for the string "... by
    Kwyjibo"

    3.  If it wasn't already infected, go through the Outlook addressbook and
    send mail to the first 50 names