Re: IE5 Feature/security hole

From: Eilon Lipton (yoeat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 12:41:00 PST

    This is getting a bit off-topic, but anybody who is *that* concerned with
    the privacy of what they type in their e-mail has two options:
    1. Disable the feature in the Options
    2. Keep the workstation locked when not present at it

    All the main Internet settings, including all the Intelli-whatever stuff are
    stored in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    There is also a key there,
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\SPW
    Which has stuff in it such as:
    "7* U0D7O=9FN+4 = 0x00000000 (0)
    .[JYB C-HQN6EYE = 0x00000000 (0)
    And several more.
    These appear to be encrypted, but do not ask me how. I have 14 such
    oddly-named keys in my registry and I have used this feature quite a lot
    (since the betas of IE5). It would be interesting if anybody could find out
    how these are encrypted given the data that was encrypted and its encrypted
    result.

    Anyway, part of my point is that an administrator that is really worried
    about his NT system can write a teeny little program that disabled all these
    features and even denies user the right to modify these settings via the
    registry's security settings.
    The other part is that a user on his/her own can protect themselves by
    simply disabling this option (same as with the Netscape's "What's related"
    thingo, which is also now a feature in IE5, made by the same people,
    methinks).
    The other other part of my point is that some John Doe cannot just steal the
    stored stuff because as you see above that is nowhere near plaintext.

    Eilon Lipton
    yoeat_private