Re: Melissa Macro Virus

From: Rodefeld, Sonja (Sonja.Rodefeldat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 31 1999 - 07:18:21 PST

    >From my research on Melissa, in a nutshell,  (although not totally
    exhaustive by any  means and please correct me if I am wrong), Melissa
    infects normal.dot with the macro.  The macro also disables the ability to
    view that the virus macro is present in the .dot file.  Once normal.dot is
    infected by the original virus document (by whatever name - list.doc,
    iminfected.doc), and a new document is CREATED using that template (not
    OPENED) is now infected.  And once this "new" document is opened by an
    "outlook" person the whole thing starts all over with the new document being
    sent out...  If a document is OPENED and was created using an uninfected
    "normal.dot" than it is "OK". I have seen instances where list.doc started
    it and then it changed over to send out other documents.

    The only problem I see with making normal.dot to read-only is that in many
    cases users DO need to make changes to the norml.dot.  So it then becomes a
    functionality issue which must be balanced against security.  I have in the
    past made changes to normal.dot because of repetitiveness in my ocuments
    (headings, footers, etc..). But I could also work around this by creating a
    completely new template under a different name) to work off of and thus
    never have to change the normal.dot template.