Re: tcpd remarks warning

From: John Line (jml4at_private)
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 13:35:15 PST

    Greg A. Woods wrote:

    >It's interesting to note that the line continuation feature is *NOT*
    >documented in the hosts_access(5) manual page.  Unless you've read the
    >source you shouldn't even know that you can use "\<newline>" to continue
    >a long entry onto the next line!  ;-)  [[ There is one hint in an
    >example. ]]

    Mmm... the hosts_access(5) man page I've got in front of me (for V7.6) says

         Each access control file consists of zero or more  lines  of
         text.  These lines are processed in order of appearance. The
         search terminates when a match is found.

         o    A newline character is ignored when it is preceded by a
              backslash  character. This permits you to break up long
              lines so that they are easier to edit.

    It then goes on to say

         o    Blank lines or lines that begin with  a  `#'  character
              are  ignored.   This permits you to insert comments and
              whitespace so that the tables are easier to read.

    If read carefully, that does make it clear that continuation lines are
    re-joined *before* checking for comments. In reality, I suspect many people
    will look down the list for the case they are interested in, and not
    look at "irrelevant" items, missing the highly significant interaction.
    Like so many UNIX man pages, it means precisely what it says, not what other
    experience may lead people to expect/assume/take for granted. :-(

                                    John Line

    --
    John Line - Cambridge University Computing Service, Computer Laboratory,
                New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.