Re: tcpd remarks warning

From: Doug White (dwhiteat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 13:04:53 PST

    On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Stefano Torricella wrote:

    > Some days ago i've had a problem with tcpd 1.10 - patchlevel 7.6. I
    > suppose that the problem is in the parser routine but i haven't
    > checked the source. I try to describe the bug :
    >
    > suppose  you have an hosts.access or hosts.deny file like this
    [...]
    > # hosts.deny
    > # some remarks
    > #in.telnetd: 123.234.12.34,  98.76.54.32, \
    > in.telnetd: 123.234.12.34,  \
    >                   32.198.76.54
    > well in this manner i've removed all the address !!! because the \ on the end of
    > the remark  line is treated how  a continue of the normal line and in effect
    > the comment continue for the next line and all the above line until the first line
    > with the first char <> from space or tab !!

    As a data point, Tcl handles this situation in the exact same way.  Any
    parser that parses and reassembles lines before interpreting them will
    exhibit this behavior. I wouldn't call this a 'bug', more of a
    'peculiarity.' :-) Such behavior does have its uses.

    To avoid such situations, I don't use line-continuations in config files.

    Doug White
    Internet:  dwhiteat_private    | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve