An issue with Apache on Debian

From: Andrei D. Caraman (adcat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 09:53:35 PDT

    [ Aleph1,

    I don't remember this being posted on Bugtraq, but feel free to
    kill it, if it's yesterday's news. ]

    This pertains to the Apache configuration as shipped with Debian 2.1
    (codename slink).

    The default setup of Apache (apache_1.3.3-7.deb) makes the /usr/doc
    directory available to anyone as http://some.host/doc/.  The relevant
    line is in the srm.conf file:

    	Alias /doc/ /usr/doc/

    That would allow any user from the net (malicious or not) to know the
    exact version of the software packages installed on a Debian box.  It
    looks  more of a privacy issue then a security one.  However, if a
    security vulnerability affecting any of those packes is found, attackers
    may already know which targets to hit (and maybe the ones to be avoided).

    At first I thought that alias should be disabled, but upon further
    reading the lines below (`The above line is for Debian webstandard 3.0,
    which specifies that /doc refers to /usr/doc. Some packages may not
    work otherwise.') I'd say that access to that location should be only
    allowed from localhost (note that a web proxy on the same machine might
    render that limitation useless).  The site administrator could easily
    change that if he/she so needs.

    Johnie Ingram (the Apache maintainer for Debian) has been notified, and
    replied that this was already formally reported on the Bug Tracking System
    by another Debian user (details available here:

    	http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/34/34099.html

    including this suggested fix:

    	<Directory /usr/doc>
    	AllowOverride None
    	order deny,allow
    	deny from all
    	allow from localhost
    	</Directory>
    )

    Johnie said he intended to change the old default it in the following
    release.

    On March 26 he also stated that a new apache deb package was to be
    uploaded on the following day, so I suppose it has already made it's
    way to the Debian mirrors.

    <propaganda>

    This is not a serious bug, since the Debian is the safest Linux
    distribution.  That's why I'm using it.

    </propaganda>

    I haven't bothered to check other distributions...

    Regards,
    Andrei D. Caraman			phone: +40 (1) 2050 637
    Network Engineer			  fax: +40 (1) 2050 655
    Mediasat SA			 office hours: 10:00 - 18:00 GMT