Re: An issue with Apache on Debian

From: Karellen (karellenat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 08 1999 - 14:48:14 PDT

    On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 07:53:35PM +0300, Andrei D. Caraman wrote:
    > That would allow any user from the net (malicious or not) to know the
    > exact version of the software packages installed on a Debian box.  It

    That reminds me of something else. On Debian 2.0, after I read the Apache
    manual I tried that neat example they suggest 'ln -s / ~/public_html'
    lynx http://localhost/~username -- I actually got to see my root directory!
    Any user with shell acess could do this and allow people browse through your
    /etc, /home and what not. To fix this, add the following lines to the top of
    your /etc/apache/apache.conf.

    <Directory />
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    </Directory>

    I had someone confirm this for me, and I got a positive answer.
    The package maintainer has been notified. I am using v1.3.3-4.