Re: Digital Unix 4.0E /var permission

From: Harhalakis Stefanos (v13at_private)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 17:56:40 PDT

     I don't think tha having more than one 'root passwords' is secure.
    If you want someone to have root privileges give him the root password.
    In any other case you want him to not be albe to become root..

     For the xlogin.. I did not say anything different than yours.. Anyway
    As far as i remember in clogin there is an if that looks if you want cde
    or xdm. If cde is selected , then one of the programs/scripts that is
    executed is changing the permissions. This is NOT from the OS, but from
    the window manager... I don't think that CDE may judge whether or not /var
    needs g+w, unless it realy need this...
    I thought that the way the scripts are called and the link-staff
    was not relative and was known.... Nothing new there..
    And one more thing.. If you decide to use a different partition
    for /var, then it is not a symlink to /usr/var, but /usr/var is
    a symlink to /var.. (This was our case)

    <<V13>>

    p.s. In the original mail I wrote /var/sbin.... which was a mistake..