Re: Long-standing bug in AustNet IRC network Virtual World

From: Sean Kelly (smkellyat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 07 1999 - 15:26:05 PDT

    --XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

    On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 12:13:09AM +0200, Henrik Edlund wrote:
    > The exact same exploit can be used against the cloaking system in use at
    > SlashNET (irc.slashnet.org).
    >=20
    	This problem has been known for a while and there are fixes for it.
    Although we have not gone through our database yet and done it for the user=
    s,
    we have told all of the users that by issuing the command:
             /MSG NickServ SET HIDE USERMASK ON
    This fixes the bug where users can /MSG NickServ INFO <nickname> and get
    "Last Seen hostmask:", and it also fixes the hsotname being shown in LIST
    output.
    	This problem was brought to our attention a few weeks ago, and
    I believe it was you who did.  We made the solution clear to the users then
    and will continue to do so.

    > --
    > Henrik Edlund
    > http://www.edlund.org/
    >=20
    >   "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    > Naturally they became heroes."
    >                   Leia Organa of Alderaan, Senator

    --=20
    Sean Kelly <smkellyat_private> or <smkellyat_private>
       PGP KeyID: 1024/77042C7B   ICQ UIN: 27955995         AIM: CmdrLinux
                                  IRC: drdink@SlashNET

    Send e-mail to smkellyat_private with subject "send pgp key" for public ke=
    y.

    --XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

    --XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l--