Long-standing bug in AustNet IRC network Virtual World

From: Grant Bayley (gbayleyat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 21:55:31 PST

    Hi folks,

    I've documented (with examples) a long standing bug in the AustNet IRC
    network "Virtual World" service which masks user IP address/hostnames for
    the purpose of preventing nukes and other fun things.  The admins have
    known about it for some time but seem to want to fix things like LoveOP
    which sends lame love messages rather than helping their users stay
    anonymous and secure, something they tout quite widely on their webpage.

    In short, it uses a trivial but brute force attack using /who queries even
    when the user is set to +i (invisible).

    I've documented it at:

    	http://www.2600.org.au/austnet-hack.html

    And there is a plain text version at:

    	http://www.2600.org.au/austnet-hack.txt

    I should mention in passing that other IRC networks like Xnet that offer
    hostname/ip masking do not suffer from the same bug.

    Have fun.

    Grant

    Grant Bayley
    - Network Administrator, Batey Kazoo Communications
    - Administrator, The AusMac Archive
    http://www.ausmac.net/    gbayleyat_private