Re: IE 5.0 security vulnerabilities - %01 bug again

From: Eric Stevens (ejstevenat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 05:38:09 PDT

    Is there any way to exploit this with files that are not recognized as text.
    Example, I tried modifying your code to c:\autoexec.bat and
    c:\winnt\win.ini.  Instead of displaying the contents of my autoexec.bat
    file, I instead recieved an Open/Save As dialog.  Open tries to execute the
    bat file or edit the ini file in the temp folder where it was downloaded,
    and save as does the obvious.  This problem exists on both versions of IE5
    that I have access to, 5.00.0708.700 [ships with Windows 2000 Beta 2 build
    5.00.1877], and 5.00.2014.0216 [a public release].  Hopefully this can't be
    exploited against anything but text files as it's not terribly likely that
    you have any sensitive information sitting around in text files whose names
    are likely to be guessed.

    ----] end quote [----