Re: ipop3d (x2) / pine (x2) / Linux kernel (x2) / Midnight

From: M.C.Mar (woloszynat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 04:09:01 PDT

    On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Mark Crispin wrote:

    > We thought these claims required a response from us since they contain
    > misleading information and only about 20% fact. And by the way, we were
    > not contacted before this post was made to BUGTRAQ, as protocol states.
    >
    > The impact is only with the standard UNIX format.
    >
    > The buffer overflow claim, and in particular the alleged root compromise, is
    > bogus.  The process is not root when mailboxes are open; nor can it get root
    > back.  He is confused by the SVR4 semantics of UID; the caveat about the
    > real UID does not apply to root processes doing setuid().
    >
    > The maximum exposure is that one byte of stack frame may be set to zero,
    > because of a "buf[x] = 0" for a stack buffer of length x.  This may cause a
    > SEGV; more likely it will just clobber a variable that isn't used after that
    > point in the function anyway.  It is not possible to write something else, nor
    > is it possible to write at any other location.
    >
    > In other words, this "buffer overflow" bug is just an ordinary bug.  It
    > doesn't happen unless the software is abused, and even may be totally harmless
    > depending upon the code that your C compiler generates.  It is *NOT* a
    > security bug in the normal sense.

    ALL ABOVE IS TRUE ONLY FOR PINE, NOT FOR PINE COMPOONENTS (as ipop3d or
    imap, which is also vulnerable to semilocal buffer overflow that allows
    any user to read /etc/shadow). I tryed to explit pine, ipop3d [POP3
    3.3(20) w/IMAP2 client (Comments to MRCat_private)] and imap
    [IMAP2bis Service 7.8(100)].

    1) I could not execute any code using pine although gdb shows I
       overwrited stack ret and ip register points to what I want.
    2) I could read /etc/shadow exploiting ipop3d.
    3) I could read /etc/shadow exploiting imap.

    > Now, we'll talk about the 20% that is fact.  Yes, it is possible to write
    > a negative process ID in the lock file.  This requires that the attacker
    > have shell access; it can't be mounted remotely.  It also requires that
    > the attacker have a program running at the time that the victim opens his
    > mail file.

    True.

    > Not only is the program running, but it has the lock file open and locked.  In
    > other words, it's incredibly easy to catch; particularly if you have lsof.
    > Nor can there be any question of intent when it comes to prosecution.  Only an
    > extremely stupid individual would try it.

    It is true only for pine itself, and I think it shoud be fixed at all.

    M.C.Mar   An NT server can be run by an idiot, and usually is.   emsiat_private
          "If you can't make it good, make it LOOK good." - Bill Gates
      Moze to nie miejsce, ale tak np. programy M$ to swoiste pomniki glupoty.