Re: ipop3d (x2) / pine (x2) / Linux kernel (x2) / Midnight

From: Mark Crispin (MRCat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 09:06:23 PDT

    On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:48:05 +0200, Olaf Kirch wrote:
    > There's a feature in imap that's rarely if ever mentioned which lets
    > you configure the lock protection for mailbox locks. In /etc/client.cf,
    > you can do `set lock-protection 0600'. The source says it's totally
    > unsupported and may go away anytime, though.

    Don't do it.  It won't work.  It will break things, and subject you to public
    humiliation should I get a bug report as a result.

    The locks are 666 for a reason.  Forget about denial of service problems when
    you have hostile users with shell accounts (why would you have such a thing
    anyway).  We're talking about denial of service problems when all of your
    users are good guys and are cooperating with each other.