Re: ipop3d (x2) / pine (x2) / ...

From: GvS (gvsat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 11 1999 - 05:13:21 PDT

    On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Mark Crispin wrote:

     MC> The locks are 666 for a reason.

    SHIT! Sorry...

    The lock mode MUST be selectable. I can't see almost any reason for
    world-writable locks for me and my systems. If somebody wants to, he
    can set them 0666 by hand. In any case I would require truly shared
    mailboxes, it's enough for me to have the lock mode group-writable
    (0660) and permit access for the specified group. And only!

    Making lock-file mode 0666 doesn't allow me to detect hostile user
    whether he/she appears on my system, but easily allows him/her to
    perform at least 2 different DoS attacks agains somebody's Pine. It's
    headache.

    SY, Seva Gluschenko, just stranger at the Road.
    GVS-RIPE: Cronyx Plus / RiNet network administrator.

    --- IRC: erra
     * Origin: Erra Netmale (gvsat_private) [http://gvs.rinet.ru/]