Re: BOA was: An issue with Apache on Debian

From: Martin Stjernholm (mastat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 11 1999 - 12:10:15 PDT

    Leszek Gerwatowski <biglat_private> wrote:

    /.../
    > > On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 07:53:35PM +0300, Andrei D. Caraman wrote:
    > > > The default setup of Apache (apache_1.3.3-7.deb) makes the /usr/doc
    > > > directory available to anyone as http://some.host/doc/.  The relevant
    > > > line is in the srm.conf file:
    > > >
    > > > 	Alias /doc/ /usr/doc/
    > > >

    > When I notified maintainer of Debian Apache package about this issue he
    > answered that this alias is required in every Debian packaged web server
    > by Debian packaging policy and if I want to report it as a bug I should
    > change first the policy. But I've chosen to comment one line in srm.conf ;-)

    This has already been reported as a security issue in the Debian
    policy almost ten months ago; see bug report #23661
    (http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/23/23661.html). The dhttpd package
    exposes the same problem (naturally, as it's a good policy-following
    Debian package) by making a symlink from /usr/doc to /var/www/doc.
    That has been reported in #23659.

    The response so far has been that eliminating this is merely "security
    by obscurity", and that it therefore isn't a real security issue. I
    disagree; it's more comparable to shadow passwords as a security
    measure. It's in any case an obvious help for doing large scans for
    vulnerabilities; among other things the risk of getting noticed in
    logs is much smaller.

    Being a "metabug", i.e. a bug in the policy, accentuates it even more
    since packages _have_ to implement this weakness and activate it by
    default.