Re: Possible WU-ftpd Worm ?

From: M.Brands (shrikeat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 15:36:53 PDT

    >  * Limitations:
    >  *
    >  *    because I've used hard coded address's for system and the command,
    >  *    the  values  wont  be  the same in others compilations of wu-ftpd.
    >  *    so,  you will  need to  find   the  address   for   the   version
    >  *    you want to exploit.
    >  *
    >  *    because we are not using the stack to  put our code, the  exploit
    >  *    will work  as well against a non-executable stack patch.
    >  *
    >  *
    >  * RECOMENDATION = Please, run gdb through the wu.ftpd binary in order to
    >  * find out your "system address" (ie: print system) and  write it   down
    >  * so you can have more address to try - just overwrite the default addr
    >  * and choose type (3).

    > /* CUSTOM ADDRESS, CHANGE IT IN ORDER TO EXPLOIT ANOTHER BOX */
    > #define SYSADDR 0x40043194;
    > #define EGGADDR 0x805f1dc;

    I just checked my Redhat 5.2 system with wu-ftpd-2.4.2b18-2.1.rpm installed.
    Since the stock binary was stripped, I built a new one with the source RPM.
    Checking both the symbols and the source, I could not find any use of the
    system(3) call. That's pretty hard to exploit...

    I think at least the version of wu-ftpd supplied by Redhat isn't exploitable.
    I could however be terribly wrong. In that case I guess I'll have to find a
    very big rock to hide under :)

    Mathijs