Re: aDSL routers

From: Chris Shenton (cshentonat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 15:55:29 PDT

    On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:01:50 -0700, David Brumley <dbrumleyat_private> said:

    David> And at least one manufacturer, flowpoint, sets no admin
    David> password.  It's in the documentation, so I assume the company
    David> already knows about this vulnerability:) System managers who
    David> have aDSL access often overlook this, so I thought I'd point it
    David> out.  A quick fix: disable telnet access to all of your aDSL
    David> router IP's.  Better fix: set an admin password.

    I have a couple other concerns on my 2200 (firmware 3.0.2).

    My carrier, Covad, did set a password but it's too easy. You can
    restrict IP access to telnet like:

    	system addTelnetFilter first.host.ip.addr [last.host.ip.addr]

    You should also do this for SNMP since it's available to the world
    with community "public":

    	system addSNMPFilter first.host.ip.addr [last.host.ip.addr]

    I restrict these to my LAN.

    Have you tried an nmap scan on it?  It reports "trivial joke" for TCP
    sequence predictability.  Should allow bad guys to hijack sessions.
    Doubleplusungood. I've gotten no feedback from comp.dcom.xdsl or
    supportat_private

    If anyone has clues to protect this I'd like to hear 'em but I fear
    it'll require new code and firmware from Flowpoint and they're not
    being responsive.